Irish Soda Bread Recipe
It wouldn’t be St Patrick’s day without fresh buttered Soda Bread. We make a very special version here at Harper & Blohm Cheese Shop with St David Dairy Buttermilk and a little local honey.
Pre-order you Soda Bread by emailing email@example.com
Available to collect in-store on Saturday 15th or Tuesday 17th March
Can’t make it to the shop or fancy making your own? Below is our recipe.
Ian’s Irish Soda Bread Recipe
- 120 gm plain flour
- 185 gm wholemeal flour
- 40gm rolled oats (plus more to sprinkle on top)
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tbsp honey
- 270 gm St David Dairy Buttermilk
- 25gm melted butter
- Preheat oven at 180C
- Mix the dry ingredients together – flours, oats, salt and bicarb together.
- Mix the St David Dairy Buttermilk and honey together, in a separate bowl.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mix.
- Mix gently together with a fork or spoon. (It’s important not to over mix)
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a round.
- Place on a baking paper-lined baking tray.
- Slash a cross on the top of the bread, sprinkle the extra oats on top.
- Bake for 45 mins at 180C or until ready. (When ready it will sound hollow when tapped on the base)
- Remove from the oven and brush the top and sides with the melted butter.
- Leave to cool for about 10 mins (if you can wait that long) before cutting. Eat with lots of butter.