December Cheese Subscription Box – seasonal favourites plus French butter
The December Cheese Subscription Box is our last cheese subscription of 2020. Each month we choose a selection of cheese with a common theme that is eating particularly well and give you a balanced range of cheese types and flavours. For December our staff have selected their seasonal favourites plus French butter – including Comté Symphonie – a strictly limited cheese as only a few wheels are given this honourable title each year. We hope you enjoy them as much as we do!
MARCEL PETITE COMTÉ ‘SYMPHONIE’ AOP
Cow’s milk, Franche-Comté, France
Comté is an ancient type of Gruyère, similar to the large mountain cheeses made in the Alps, on the borders of France & Switzerland. Marcel Petite, one of the most respected Affineurs in France, selects only a few wheels of Comté each year to bear the prestigious ‘Symphonie’ label. These cheeses are made by small dairies in the Jura and are carefully graded before, during & after maturation. They have a rich concentrated nutty texture & a gentle caramel sweet honey flavour reflecting the rich milk of the Montbéliard cattle that graze the natural mountain pastures. Enjoy with charcuterie and crisp white wine.
NIGHTWALKER – Stone & Crow
Cow’s milk, Yarra Valley Region, Victoria
Nightwalker is a small washed rind cheese has a soft texture that becomes gooey with age. The milk comes from a single herd of Friesian & Jersey cows managed by Leigh Shera Jones in the Yarra Ranges. To create its tell-tale pungency, cheesemaker Jack Holman washes the cheese in brine every day for the first couple of weeks, until the cheese is ready to wrap for sale. The final flavour is typical of washed-rind cheeses, with meaty notes and a creamy finish. Jack makes his cheese at a micro-dairy called Crow’s Nest, located at Rob Dolans Wines in the Yarra Valley and named this cheese after a seasonal night walk with his mates. Jack says it’s a great cheese to for sharing!
OSSAU IRATY AOP – Onetik
Ewe’s milk, Basque Country, France
Ossau Iraty is a semi-hard cheese with distinctly nutty rich flavours and lingering caramel sweetness. The method used to make Ossau Iraty is claimed to be one of the oldest surviving and dates back at least 4000 years. Made in the rugged mountains known as the Basque region, on the border between France and Spain, milk collected daily from the mountain farmers is transformed into the cheese using a combination of modern methods and respect for tradition. Its earthy, aromatic rind is typical of ewe’s and goat’s milk cheeses made in the French Pyrénées. The floral aftertaste is reminiscent of the pastures of wildflowers and fresh mountain grass in the region.
LE CONQUÉRANT UNSALTED BUTTER AOC – Selected by Will Studd
Cows milk, Normandy, France
Le Conquérant French Butter is made with cream from cows that graze on the green seaside meadows of Normandy. Churned in the old fashion way in a baratte and then hand moulded, this is the ‘Rolls Royce’ of butter – an essential item of any gourmands fridge.
Orders for our December Cheese Subscription Box close 9 am Friday 27th November.
For delivery Friday 4th December. See more information and order here.
Some common question we get asked
What’s in a Monthly Cheese Subscription Box?
- 3 or 4 pieces of cheese selected by our cheesemongers
- Cheeses cut to order and wrapped in cheese paper
- Approximately 650g (large) & 500g (regular) in total
- The range includes soft, hard & blue styles
- Made from cows, goats, sheep and/or buffalo milk
- Cheese notes
How much does it cost?
- Regular: 2 – 3 cheese eaters – $95 per month * (includes free delivery to Melbourne metro)
- Large: 3 – 4 cheese eaters – $110 per month* (includes free delivery to Melbourne metro)
- Price includes delivery via a HACCP certified refrigerated courier service
- Use code SUBSCRIBE in the coupon code box at checkout to activate Free Delivery.
* Add $5 for regional delivery
Where do you deliver to?
Melbourne & selected areas of regional Victoria
- Click here for more details of where we can deliver to
How many months can I have cheese delivered?
- As many as you like! 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, and 12 months subscriptions are available.
Can I buy this as a gift?
- Yes – you’ll receive a confirmation email for your order followed by an attachment letter for the lucky recipient. (Please allow up to 24hrs for us to process)
Can I order as a Christmas Gift?
Of course – simply add a note in the details and we will confirm the first delivery will be February 2021.