Baked Barrel Aged Feta with Za’atar
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again all feta is not created equal. Aphrodite Barrel Aged Feta is made by hand, then laid down for 3 months in a beechwood barrel. This traditional technique allows for oxygen to interact with the wood’s natural flora resulting in a cheese that exhibits a unique yeasty aroma, milky texture and peppery finish.
Serves: 4 Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 20 mins
- Aphrodite Barrel Aged Feta in 250gm tub
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 80ml EVOO (extra virgin olive oil)
- Black pepper freshly ground
- 2 tsp za’atar
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C
- Add olive oil, crushed garlic and pepper to an ovenproof baking dish.
- Remove both slices of feta from brine and place in dish, turning the cheese over to ensure good coverage in oil and aromatics. Marinate for 10 minutes if time allows.
- Sprinkle the top with za’atar.
- Bake for 20 mins until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and squeeze juice of half a lemon over the top.
- Delicious served with crusty bread and a green salad with tomatoes.
- Works well as part of a mezze course and even an appetizing breakfast option
- Serve warm to take full advantage of its soft, spreadable creaminess.
- Use quality extra virgin olive oil – we recommend Mt Zero Organic EVOO